Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Archive Photos

I was tidying my studio the other day ( rare indeed) and I came across a folder of photos that I hadn’t seen in years! Lots of Dark Crystal photos and some Labyrinth ones as well. Since we are going to be introducing both films in the next two weeks, I thought it might be a nice time to share some more of these archive photos with you all. 

Jim Henson gave a huge masked ball in New York the Spring before we shot Labyrinth (which we shot in the U.K.). Brian and I got to test out two of the masks we were making for the ballroom scene and I’m wearing a dress I had made for this ball in particular. It’s turned up in Brian’s paintings since. So - this was pre-Labyrinth Ballroom, but with that scene in mind. 

Here’s a picture of the two of us in the Dark Crystal workshop in Hampstead. Brian is looking really bemused but I have no idea of what we were looking at. I expect there were many moments like these! 


These three photos are of some of the Dark Crystal creatures. It’s interesting to see them on a plain background, by themselves. They are so beautifully made and the detail is just astonishing. In the film, of course there is really no time to study any of the creatures that flash by so quickly. I don’t know for certain who made any of these - it wasn’t me!




17 comments:

  1. What's the name of the little creature in the third photo down? It looks like a cross between a skunk, a possum, a mouse and an aardvark. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I can't wait until my baby daughter can fully appreciate the Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress was stunning - you two looked marvelous!! There should be more masked balls in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww this made my day, Wendy you look superb in that dress, and you have the most gorgeous hair. Btw, I've sent you an email a couple of days ago with some funny pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love the creatures. These have mde my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have goblins in my computer! I would welcome those creatures to my office any day!

      Delete
  7. Wow, absolutely loved them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing!
    It is always a great surprise to see things unrevealed from these wonderful movies!
    What´s on with Dark Crystal 2?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, when I was young the Labyrinth played a huge part in my life. I loved that film and used to watch it over and over again. I'm now a fantasy/horror writer and hold the Labyrinth responsible for my love of the fantasy genre. Just looking at that stunning photo reminds me just how special that film is. As for The Dark Crystal, well, that film scared the bejees out of me. Took me ages to finally sit down and watch it...lol

    Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos! Love your gown and mask and all the creatures! Thank you ever so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely magical and enchanting! Thanks for sharing! It is an inspiring inside look in the the creation of Labyrinth - to see these pix and the concept designs in your NYC show. I think another viewing of the movie is in order...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was brilliant to see the Dark Crystal at Animated Exeter this weekend, and to met you guys too.It had been years since I went to see it with my best mate Doug Fitch when it came out first, and he was there with me on Friday night to see it again. Talk about nostalgia!! Both the film and the sculpture workshop have left me grinning like a Cheshire cat and all fired up to do big things. Thank you Brian and Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you both have been such a inspiration in my life for so so many years now. i am maker of faery & woodland jewelries, and sometimes when i lack of inspiration i take a stach of your books and look them through. or read your oracle cards. all i want to say is a huge thank you for your art, it has made my world so much more magical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great photos, thanks for sharing them! I'm so happy I found your beautiful blog. I found it through Toby's new Etsy shop. Warmest Wishes!

    ReplyDelete