Monday, September 17, 2012

Celebrations of Trolls

It’s been a fantastic week here! Brian and I are SO excited about the Trolls book and all of the events that are happening around it. 

We just returned on Friday from a great book signing at Forbidden Planet in London and then an amazing launch party and signing for Trolls that was organized by the wonderful James Elphick at the Islington Ironworks. Everyone came in costume (and there were a few hundred people there) and we talked and signed books for hours while bands played and much was eaten and imbibed. Mother Leap attended as well (in her own basket) and enjoyed the attention very much indeed. I don’t know how I’m going to break the news to her that she’s just too big to come to New York with us. I’d have to buy her her own seat on the plane and that’s just not going to happen. She IS coming to Plymouth University book festival with us next Friday the 21st when we’re signing again and speaking after a screening of Dark Crystal. I’m also bringing her to the sculpting and fabricating demonstration I’ll be giving in Chagford at the Globe as part of their Chagford Film Festival on Wednesday the 26th. It’s a busy time here! 

We are also very excited about the meditation app -Pathways to Faery, which will be coming out in October as well. That, combined with the Animazing Gallery exhibition AND New York Comic Con means an even busier October for us. But it’s all fun and wonderful. We are getting such a great response to Trolls (thank you for good reviews on Amazon - it means a lot to us!). 

Brian and I are already beginning to develop some new projects. We haven’t shared our thoughts with anyone yet but hopefully will be able to soon. 

I have a few photos to share with you - nothing magical at the moment. The last time I was out on the moor, my camera battery ran out just as I was about to shoot a fantastic image of a unicorn in conversation with a troll. Perhaps it was just not meant to be recorded. I WILL try again this week. We’re having (I’m almost afraid to mention) an Indian summer here right now. It’s sunny most days and very pleasant. Perfect weather for hunting the hedgerows and grassy pathways for signs of the otherworld. 

Anyway - back to the photos. 
This is one from the Trolls launch party. It’s Toby if he had never left the Labyrinth. I was NOT temped to rescue THIS child! 

Brian and I signing at the launch (with Mother Leap in her basket). We were on a sort of raised platform holding court at one end of a room (one of many - the food and bands were in other rooms and we missed them all!). 

We also went to a fantastic (as only Chagford can do) circus party for our dear friend Elizabeth Jane’s birthday. It was held in her magical woods with everyone flitting amongst the trees dressed in what can only be described as “circus/bordello” costumes -apart from the rather scary clowns. An Absinth tent and a wonderful contact juggler and slack- rope walker (I believe that’s the term) added even more magic to the evening. The Green Fairy was much in evidence as people this morning will certainly be able to attest to, I’m sure. 

Lastly, here is a photo of a troll witch that I’m just finishing up for the Animazing Gallery show. She is in the Trolls book but I’ve restored her to her troll world persona – she appears in the urban section of the book.


7 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I didn't get to the London launch. The photos I've seen so far look fantastic. I do have my book already but I'm saving it for a quiet moment when I can curl up and read it properly!

    Do you now if the meditation app will be available on Android too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! I like your dress and hat, Brian always looks dapper! When will you be back in New York City?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing! I look forward to visiting another exquisite Animazing exhibit. And can I say - you look stunning in red! Quite a change from your dryad hued norm... Wondering if NYC in October could mean FaerieCon in Nov?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Brian are so inspiring to artists like myself. I love reading about your adventures. I hope that you will consider adapting your app for the android market. Many of us have that platform instead of apple. Thank you for the awesome art and inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. I am so looking forward to the book. Want to get my sticky mits on a copy. We use your ideas and characters a lot in literacy at school. Why write about boring things when you can discuss dragons, faeries and trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited and the book is on my birthday wish list!

    Love what Charlotte said above - when I was at school a teacher read us all the traditional fairytales and I think most of the children who were in her class travelled and undertook adventures instead of desk jobs! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That troll on the last picture is amazing. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete